Author: Reinhold "Max" Blumich (1886-1942) and Heinrich Ranneforth (editors)
Publisher: Verlag von Walter de Gruyter & Company
Place: Berlin and Leipzig
viii+400 pages with plate, diagrams, illustrations, tables and index. Royal octavo (9 1/4" x 6 1/4") 12 issues bound in original cloth binding with gilt lettering to spine and embossed ruled edges. Volume 81 (Bibliotheca Van der Linde-Niemeijeriana: 6047) First edition.
Deutsche Schachzeitung was the first German chess magazine. Founded in 1846 by Ludwig Bledow under the title Schachzeitung der Berliner Schachgesellschaft, it took the name Deutsche Schachzeitung in 1872. (Another magazine used the title Deutsche Schachzeitung from 1846 to 1848.) When it ceased publication in December 1988 it was the oldest existing magazine in the world, having been published regularly since its founding in 1846 except for a five-year break (1945–1949) during World War II. Since January 1989, the Deutsche Schachzeitung was merged in the Deutsche-Schachblätter - Schach-Report which was edited in Hollfeld. The resulting magazine appeared with the names of both former magazines on its cover till December 1996. Since January 1997, this magazine again was merged in the Berlin magazine Schach. The resulting magazine kept the names Schach and Schach-Report on its cover for one year, but the name Deutsche Schachzeitung had disappeared from the cover. Since 1998, the magazine appears under the simple Schach. However, the table of contents is still headed by the names Deutsche Schachzeitung, Deutsche Schachblätter and Schach-Report. The Deutsche Schachzeitung was in its prime in the first two decades of the 20th century.
Light rubbing to extremities, corners gently bumped else a very good in original binding with out jacket as issued. . First Edition. Original Cloth. Very Good. Royal octavo.