Author: Eugen von (Schmidt 1821-1905) and J Minchwitz (editors)
Publisher: Verlag von Veit & Company
xiv+370+[2 ad] pages with diagrams, plate, illustrations, tables and index. Octavo (9" x 6") bound in blue cloth with white lettering to spine. Volume 21 (Bibliotheca Van der Linde-Niemeijeriana: 6047) First edition.
Deutsche Schachzeitung was the first German chess magazine. Founded in 1846 by Ludwig Bledow under the title Schachzeitung der Berliner Schachgesellschaft, it took the name Deutsche Schachzeitung in 1872. (Another magazine used the title Deutsche Schachzeitung from 1846 to 1848.) When it ceased publication in December 1988 it was the oldest existing magazine in the world, having been published regularly since its founding in 1846 except for a five-year break (1945-1949) during World War II. Since January 1989, the Deutsche Schachzeitung was merged in the Deutsche-Schachblï¿½tter - Schach-Report which was edited in Hollfeld. The resulting magazine appeared with the names of both former magazines on its cover till December 1996. Since January 1997, this magazine again was merged in the Berlin magazine Schach. The resulting magazine kept the names Schach and Schach-Report on its cover for one year, but the name Deutsche Schachzeitung had disappeared from the cover. Since 1998, the magazine appears under the simple Schach. However, the table of contents is still headed by the names Deutsche Schachzeitung, Deutsche Schachblï¿½tter and Schach-Report. The Deutsche Schachzeitung was in its prime in the first two decades of the 20th century.
Rebound in modern blue cloth, some occasion foxing internally else a very good copy.