Author: Baruch Harold "B H" Wood (1909-1989) editor
Place: Sutton Coldfield
[ix]+450 pages with diagrams, photographs, tables, plates and index. Royal octavo (9 1/2" x 7 1/2") bound in quarter leather with raised spine bands and gilt lettering to spine over brown cloth. Twelve issues. Volume 4 numbers 37-48. (Betts: 7-91) First edition.
Incorporated The Social Chess Quarterly, July 1936 and the Canadian Chessner, August 1937. The later was continued as Canadian Supplement, published in Montreal in typescript and inserted in Canadian members subscribers' copies of the Chess (edited by Dudley M Leain).
Baruch Harold Wood was born in Sheffield, England. He founded CHESS magazine in 1935 and was its editor until 1988, when it was sold to Pergamon Press. He was also a FIDE Arbiter, a correspondent for the Daily Telegraph, and also wrote an interesting weekly column for Illustrated London News from 1949 to 1979. He co-founded the Sutton Coldfield Chess Club.
Previous owner's name on front end paper, end papers heavily foxed, some internal foxing, hand written pages tipped in after index and end referencing openings, old news paper clipping of game tipped into back paste down, corners bumped else better than good.